Steering Clients Through Government Investigations and Regulatory Affairs Issues
Hogan Marren Babbo & Rose, Ltd.’s team of seasoned attorneys navigate clients through a full range of government investigations and regulatory affairs matters. Our lawyers harness the knowledge and skills gained from working in top-level positions in government and the private sector to provide strategic direction to organizations across a wide spectrum of industries, from health care and education to construction and government contracting. We appreciate that the laws and regulations governing our clients’ operations are extraordinarily complex and the failure to fully comply with these requirements can lead to serious consequences. We understand that government investigations can be costly and intrusive and seek to resolve these matters in a manner that best comports with the individual needs and concerns of our clients.
Scope of Services
The attorneys in our Government Investigations and Regulatory Affairs Practice focus on helping clients prevent, respond and challenge government investigations and enforcement activities. We understand what the law demands and assist clients with a broad range of civil and criminal matters, including cases :
- Compliance. HMBR lawyers carefully review our clients’ operations and work to develop institutional policies and procedures that comply with regulatory requirements so that our clients do not become the target of an intrusive government investigation.
- False Claims and Qui Tam. Our lawyers are experienced in defending clients in a wide range of federal and state whistleblower False Claims Act investigations and lawsuits. We have handled a diverse array of matters, including cases involving allegations of illegal kickbacks in the health care industry as well as false claims actions related to educational institutions.
- Fidelity Bond, D&O Liability Claims. The attorneys in our practice frequently perform internal investigations of our clients’ operations to spot fraud, embezzlement and other types of misconduct on the part of officers and employees. We also initiate claims on behalf of businesses and labor organizations when these types of activities are uncovered.
- First Amendment. Well-versed in First Amendment issues, HMBR attorneys are frequently called upon to counsel municipal entities on issues involving ordinances, regulations, licenses and permits. We also have broad experience representing state officials facing constitutional challenges to legislation.
- FTC/DOJ Antitrust Investigation. The attorneys in our practice have extensive experience assisting clients facing antitrust investigations conducted by the Federal Trade Commission and the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice. We harness a deep understanding of antitrust laws and agency enforcement actions to help our clients craft appropriate responses at every level of the investigation.
- Inspector General Investigation. When a corporate officer, government employee or other individual becomes the target of an Inspector General investigation, our attorneys act quickly to develop a comprehensive plan of defense. We understand that our clients could face serious fines and penalties and work to ensure that they know how to respond properly at every stage of the investigation.
- Public Access and Ethics. HMBR attorneys are regularly called upon to advise clients on the wide range of obligations, restrictions and penalties that can be imposed upon municipal entities and their officials under Illinois statutes. We have also counseled clients on matters involving the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) as well as the Open Meetings Act.
- Taxes and Utilities. Our attorneys represent clients in routine and complex tax and utility cases, including disputes involving municipal infrastructure practices and the enforcement of collections for outstanding taxes and utilities owed by individuals and corporations.
- Title IV. HMBR lawyers routinely advise clients on how to respond to program reviews conducted by the Federal Student Aid (FSA) Office of the U.S Department of Education. We also perform mock reviews of our clients’ operations to identify potential compliance issues and represent clients under investigation by the Inspector General.
- Title IX Enforcement. When a client receives notice from the Office of Civil Rights (OCR) that a complaint involving a Title IX discrimination matter has been opened for investigation, our attorneys help the client cooperate and respond to all OCR requests. While we aim to negotiate a fair resolution as early as possible, our lawyers are prepared to challenge the OCR’s findings at every level of appeal.